Tuesday, August 5, 2014

RPGaDay 05 "Most Old School Game"

I've been into games for a very long time, many of the games I've played have gone through multiple editions and printings. By equal measure I have moved a lot too. In between all this I have lost more than I currently own so finding the most Old School game for me is a rather painful thing.

So I can't say D&D for this one because I no longer have my books having lost them in a river in between Florida and Michigan. Damn you Mayflower!


The same can be said of Boot Hill, though I never actually had a chance to play that one.











There was, of course Tunnels and Trolls











Gamma World, what a trip. I had a lot of fun with this one, but again, never had a chance to play it.











It wasn't until many years after its initial release that I bought a copy of Metamorphosis Alpha, and that cover...











Traveller, Gods I hated this game, I mean who the fuck makes a game you can kill off during character creation anyway?











Ahh, the 70s. So lame yet so full of polyester.


The 80s were better for me as a gamer, that decade gave me such awesomeness as Champions, Call of Cthulhu, and Top Secret! Top Secret was really what broke me of the standard faire and it was an awesomely fun awesome fun game. The box it came in was so utterly crushed and destroyed so early in it's life...
 Er...

I would be remiss if I also didn't give a mention to Chill, Marvel Super Heroes, Middle Earth Role Playing and Twilight 2000 (Which I also disliked and was the last GDW game I wasted my money on)

FASERIP FTW!

Are you unhappy Citizen?

DC Heroes came out soon after MSH, but I didn't enjoy it as much. 


1985 was awesome, along with DC Heroes came Space Master! Pendragon, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and many a licenced property. Conan, Dr. Who, Hawkmoon and... 


GURPS came out a year after and I thought it was silly, still do, but the sourcebooks were a staple of my gaming library. Ghostbusters was neat, but never had a chance to play it. 

A couple of years later came the most old school game I currently own. Suck it Shadowrun!


It remains my favorite RPG of all time and it's the only one I've managed to keep a hold of through the years. Maybe sometime I'll run the original again...

No comments: